Don’t you just love it when you see your pet eating well, looking healthy, prancing around looking all robust, and earning the compliments of friends, families and strangers?
Pets get experience about the world around them through what they taste and smell, however, the foods your pets are exposed to may seem harmless but can actually be toxic to them. It’s not a pleasant sight to watch your pet go through the pain of what they ate and this could have been avoided in the first place.
Animals are sensitive and react to foods differently than we do. There are things you would eat that your body would benefit from but might be extremely fatal to your pet and may even cost their lives. What are these foods you ask? Read on to find out.
Coffee and chocolate
Who would have guessed that coffee and chocolate contain harmful substances that could affect your cats and dogs? Substances that cause vomiting, even when consumed in little amounts. Pet owners need to know that dark chocolate contains more harmful substances than milk chocolate and the poisoning effect are extremely fatal, and the caffeine may lead to dehydration, excessive urinating, arrhythmia, and high blood pressure.
Flowers are beautiful, and they also smell nice right? All the more reasons to steal your pet’s curiosity, but lilies are attractive death traps to animals, and the strong nephrotoxic can affect them if they get into your pet’s digestive system. The toxic elements in lilies are toxic for the kidneys and can cause vomiting, loss of appetite, increased salivation, and excessive urinating.
Onion and garlic
Vegetables like onions, leeks, and garlic contain propyl disulfide that can destroy the red blood cells and cause anaemia. Anaemia could also severely damage the internal organs in extreme cases.
Symptoms may include vomiting, diarrhoea, nausea, apathy, increased heart rate and pain in the abdomen, and signs may start showing within several days. That’s a lot of no-no from the onion family wouldn’t you say?
Grapes and raisins
Did you know that as little as 0.5 oz of grapes can cause harm to a 10-lb dog? Grapes and raisins that humans enjoy have a fatal effect on the kidneys of animals. In fact, a person with poor health can suffer kidney failure if ingested. Animals suffer from apathy, diarrhoea, vomiting spells, and loss of appetite.
Dogs and bones rights? Tubular bones aren’t poisonous, but they can cause serious health problem since they turn into smaller shard when chewed by dogs and can get stuck in your pet’s throat or damage your pet’s intestines. Tubular bone bones should be avoided entirely since they can cut the stomach and intestine when they get inside the body of your pet, causing extreme conditions such as peritonitis.
I personally eat tomatoes raw, the ripe ones though, because the unripe ones can pose a threat to humans. But did you know that all tomatoes are dangerous for animals? Ensure that your pet doesn’t have access to foliage because it is toxic also.
One tomato per week is more than enough for a dog that eats natural foods because it contains solanine that causes the breakage of red blood cells and too much of it isn’t right.
Apples are known to be very nutritious, and there are different colours and varieties to pick from. Red apples, however, unlike green ones, can cause allergic reactions in dogs. Nevertheless, it’s not the apples you need to be worried about; it’s the seeds that are dangerous because they contain cyanide. The seeds of apples, apricots and cherries should be kept far away from your pets because even in small doses, it is hazardous for your animal.
You should watch out for when your pet is vomiting, has diarrhoea, and gets dehydrated. These are clear signs of poisoning. You should take your pet to the vet immediately if you suspect the seeds have been ingested.
Raw eggs are just as dangerous for humans as they are for pets. Reason being, egg whites contain avidin that can hinder vitamin B metabolism and can cause salmonellosis. It is better eaten boiled.
Ice-cream is made richly from milk and sugar, and considering that most animals are lactose intolerant, excess consumption of ice-cream can cause gastrointestinal problems, vomiting, nausea, and diarrhoea. Not to mention the dental problems caused by sugar. So please, keep that away from your pets.
Avocados being highly nutritious for humans contain a fungicidal toxin known as pepsin. Although the pit is known to cause harm to human, but the entire fruit is dangerous for dogs and cats causing breathing problems, heart issues and gastrointestinal issues.
I know you love your pets and sometimes you get carried away with what you feed them with. Nonetheless, it is imperative that you monitor what they consume so that they maintain being healthy without any health complications.
Visit your vet immediately if you suspect has eaten something they shouldn’t have and they are showing some of the signs listed above.